Scheduling the Semen Testing
ALL TESTS must be scheduled with the laboratory prior to bringing in a sample!
Tests can be scheduled by calling the Andrology Laboratory at 610-447-2273.
The Andrology Laboratory is located on the fifth floor of the Ambulatory Care Pavilion. Follow the signs in the main lobby, take the Pavilion elevators located next to the main entrance, turn right out of the elevators towards Suite 531. Please inform the receptionist that you have an appointment with the lab.
- Refrain from sexual activity including masturbation for 2-3 days prior to testing. Longer or shorter periods of abstinence may produce abnormal results.
- The semen specimen should be collected by masturbation. Do not collect the specimen in a condom as these contain spermicidal agents which will alter the results of the analysis.
- The semen specimen should be collected into a sterile specimen container. This container may be obtained at our office, laboratory, or local pharmacy. Do not use a bottle or jar from home, as it may be contaminated. Avoid touching the inside of the cup. If any semen is spilled, do not attempt to transfer it to the cup but note collection error on paperwork to be filled out at the time of your appointment.
- The specimen must arrive in the laboratory within 1 hour of collection. Do not expose the specimen to extremes of temperature. Keep the specimen close to body temperature by transporting it close to the body. If you are unable to deliver the specimen to the laboratory within 1 hour, there is a private room available at our laboratory for collection of the specimen.
- Please label the side of the specimen collection cup with your name.
- Unacceptable specimens will be rejected and a new specimen requested.
- Patients referred to our laboratory from an outside physician must have a written Doctor’s order (Prescription). Samples that are not accompanied with a prescription will be rejected.
- Please do not hesitate to contact our office regarding insurance and referral forms.
Specimens may be received Monday through Friday during the hours of 7:30am-3:00pm and by appointment only.